Monday 2 February 2015

OUGD 406 Secret-7




 Aims of this module are:

  • To investigate and develop an increasingly self determined approach to the design process in response to the brief.
  • To develop a practical and conceptual understanding of issues relating to function, context and audience in response to graphic design practice.
  • To further develop critical and reflective approaches to the documentation and evaluation of individual and group-based studio/design practices.
  • To establish a critical approach to the documentation, analysis and evaluation of work and its contextualisation within current graphic design practice.

4A7

Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between formal language, visual communication and problem solving in the development of appropriate solutions to defined problems.
20%
4B6

Demonstrate a critical awareness of individual intentions in the production and contextualisation of work related to appropriate graphic design practices.
20%
4C8

Identify, evaluate and select appropriate practical and conceptual approaches to the development of effective solutions to set problems.
20%
4C9

Demonstrate the ability to incorporate visual skills and sensitivity to appropriate media in the development of a body of individually identified design solutions.
20%
4D6

Effectively manage time and resources in order to document, present and evaluate a self-determined body of work in response to set briefs.
20%
STUDIO BRIEF 1: PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE - this brief will offer you the opportunity to respond to a given live or competition brief.
STUDIO BRIEF 2: INDIVIDUAL PRACTICE - an opportunity to develop an individual response to a set design problem, which will be exhibited alongside Level 05 responses externally.
STUDIO BRIEF 3: COLLABORATIVE PRACTICE - you will work in small groups to solve a problem based on communication, audience and context.
STUDIO BRIEF 4: REFLECTIVE PRACTICE - an opportunity to use your own individual experience of your first year to identify a problem and design and produce a Graphic Design response.
LIVE BRIEF: SECRET 7”
http://secret-7.com/
Design a 7" record sleeve for one of the following 7 artists:
The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
The Supremes - Reflections
The Maccabees - Go
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
The Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers
St. Vincent - Digital Witness
Underworld - Born Slippy
100 designs for each track will be selected, pressed and printed to be exhibited and sold for £50 to raise money for the Nordoff Robbins Charity. Creatives from around the world are invited to interpret the tracks in their own style for every 7”. 
**You should aim to explore the visual semiotics of the track from a personal perspective, how do you interpret the content, lyrics, genre, style etc in a visual sense. Begin but don't limit your visual research by examining celebrated music artwork designers including;

Peter Saville
Jamie Reed
Annie Leibovitz
Storm Thorgerson
Fred Deakin
Mark Farrow

Leif Podhajsky
You need people to see your work and the essence of graphic design is communication. There is no value producing work for it to be placed in a drawer. Often the best work or best ideas are the ones that people have seen. You must get use to distributing your work at the any available opportunity.
Remember design is about doing.
This is an opportunity to visually and conceptually exploit every possible angle of your ideas. We are expecting a visual feast of ideas before you even consider resolving the problem.
Final resolution as specified in the competition brief.
Examples of the four sleeves you didn’t select to enter.
A min of thirty “thumbnail” possible design treatments and supporting design development work.
Documentation on your blog and design sheets.


http://secret-7.com/#submissions






Key Rules to remember:
1. Design must not include the artist's name or the song title.
2.Concentrate your design on what will be the front, only this will be visible in the exhibition.
3.Dimensions should be 184mm x 184mm, with a 3mm bleed all the way around. That's 190mm x190 mm in total. The bleed won't be visible, so bear that in mind.
4.your file must be produced in CMYK so its set-up to be printed. any PMS specials will be converted. metallic or fluorescent inks cannot be reproduced.
5. Your file must be 300DPI.
6. Your file must be saved as either a Tiff, JPEG or a PDF.
7. Do try and reduce the size of your file as much as possible- 10MB maximum.
8. You can submit a sleeve design for as many of our tracks as you like, and more than one for each other track.
9.You must have until 23:59 GMT on 4th March 2015 to upload your designs. Late submission will not be accepted. We advise that you don't wait till the last few minute to upload, as the site will be busy.
10.Last but certainly not least - if we email you with the good news that you've made it into the show please keep it a secret.It makes for a much better project!

Tittle - Miss 
Name- Jaqueline Almagro Chiavarine
Email- ya256547@students.leeds-art.ac.uk
Address line 1 - Leeds college of arts
Address line 2- Blenheim Walk, Leeds, West Yorkshire 
City- Leeds
Postcode- LS2 9AQ
Website: http://j-almagrochiavarine1417-sp.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: 

Songs:
Chemical Brothers - Let forever be 
Released in 1999 this track features vocals from Noel Gallagher - who also co-wrote it - and has a mesmerizing music video directed by the one and only Michel Gondry.

Diana Ross and the Supremes -Reflections
Our first release from the wonderful world of Motown and the band's first with Diana as the main billing in 1967. This is an extended stereo version of the psychedelic pop single that has never been pressed to vinyl.


Go - The maccabees
Taken from this London band's critically acclaimed third album Given To The Wild. It will be the fifth and final single taken from it, ahead of the release of a new album in 2015.
Peter Gabriel-Sledgehammer
Apparently this song is all about sex. It's influential stop motion video that accompanied the track's original release in 1986 is an all time great, and we shall be pressing the video edit audio.

The Rolling Stones - Dead flowers
From arguably the bands' greatest ever record Sticky Fingers. Released in 1971 it is housed in the iconic artwork conceived by Andy Warhol. This will be the first time the track has been released as a 7”.

Digital Witness - ST Vincent
The lead single from her recent album which was crowned album of 2014 by many, including The Guardian, The Sunday Time and NME.

Underworld - Born Slippy 
Originally a B-side to Born Slippy, the remix shot to fame in 1996 when it soundtracked the final scene in the movie Trainspotting. We are working with the radio edit of this classic.


I will now move on to Researching 3 of the 7 songs that we've been given.
After looking at the lyrics, Genre, Style and content of each song i will be able to design my own record sleeve for the secret-7.

St Vincent -> Digital Witness
Lyrics:
"Digital Witness"

Get back, to your seat
Get back, gnashing teeth
Ooh, I want all of your mind

People turn the TV on, it looks just like a window, yeah
People turn the TV on, it looks just like a window, yeah

Digital witnesses, what's the point of even sleeping?
If I can't show it, if you can't see me
What's the point of doing anything?
This is no time for confessing

I want all of your mind

People turn the TV on, it looks just like a window, yeah
People turn the TV on, it looks just like a window, yeah

Digital witnesses, what's the point of even sleeping?
If I can't show it, if you can't see me
Watch me jump right off the London Bridge
This is no time for confessing

People turn the TV on and throw it out the window, yeah
Get back to your stare
I care, but I don't care
Oh oh, I, I want all of your mind
Give me all of your mind
I want all of your mind
Give me all of it

Digital witnesses, what's the point of even sleeping?
If I can't show it, if you can't see me
What's the point of doing anything?
What's the point of even sleeping?
So I stopped sleeping, yeah I stopped sleeping
Won't somebody sell me back to me?

Genre-
Style-
How do you interpret the content?

Sledge Hammer -> Peter Gabriel 
Lyrics-"Sledgehammer"

you could have a steam train
if you'd just lay down your tracks
you could have an aeroplane flying
if you bring your blue sky back

all you do is call me
I'll be anything you need

you could have a big dipper
going up and down, all around the bends
you could have a bumper car, bumping
this amusement never ends

I want to be your sledgehammer
why don't you call my name
oh let me be your sledgehammer
this will be my testimony
show me round your fruitcage
'cos I will be your honey bee
open up your fruitcage
where the fruit is as sweet as can be

I want to be your sledgehammer
why don't you call my name
you'd better call the sledgehammer
put your mind at rest
I'm going to be-the sledgehammer
this can be my testimony
I'm your sledgehammer
let there be no doubt about it

sledge sledge sledgehammer

I've kicked the habit
shed my skin
this is the new stuff
I go dancing in, we go dancing in
oh won't you show for me
and I will show for you
show for me, I will show for you
yea, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I do mean you
only you
you've been coming through
going to build that powerr
build, build up that power, hey
I've been feeding the rhythm
I've been feeding the rhythm
going to feel that power, build in you
come on, come on, help me do
yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you
I've been feeding the rhythm
I've been feeding the rhythm
it's what we're doing, doing
all day and night

Genre-
Style-
How do you interpret the content?
Ideas to keep in mind when designing=
Steam Train
Lay down tracks
aeroplane
blue sky
call
Dipper -> Bird
Bumper Car
Sledgehammer
Fruit cage
Honey bee
Day and night


Maccabees -> Go
Lyrics-"Go"

Left you there in the sunlight
In the sunshine by the windowsill in the kitchen
In light of what was to come it was not enough

Just like the cardboard that covered
The missing panes and cracks in our bedroom windows
We should have known they wouldn't keep out the cold

It was not enough
It's not enough
And it never was

And they'll call out with a name by which I'd never call you
And we'll grow out when it's time
And the skins we've known no longer fit us

It's not enough and it leaves you tired

See you there in the sunlight
In the sunshine by the windowsill in the kitchen

And they'll call out with a name by which I'd never call you
All things being well still feel it was not enough

Genre-
Style-
How do you interpret the content?


Chemical Brothers:
"Let Forever Be"
How does it feel like,
to wake up in the sun?
How does it feel like,
to shine on everyone?
How does it feel like,
to let forever be?
How does it feel like,
to spend a little lifetime sitting in the gutter?

Scream a symphony.

How does it feel like,
to sail in on the breeze?
How does it feel like,
to spend a little lifetime sitting in the gutter?

Scream a symphony.

How does it feel like, 
to make it happen here?
How does it feel like,
to breathe with everything?
How does it feel like,
to let forever be?
How does it feel like,
to spend a little lifetime sitting in the gutter?

Scream a symphony.

How does it feel like,
to be a crystal fiend?
How does it feel like,
to spend a little lifetime sitting in the gutter? 

Scream a symphony.

The rolling Stones:
"Dead Flowers"
Well when you're sitting there in your silk upholstered chair
Talkin' to some rich folk that you know
Well I hope you won't see me in my ragged company
Well, you know I could never be alone
Take me down little Susie, take me down
I know you think you're the queen of the underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flowers by the mail
Send me dead flowers to my wedding
And I won't forget to put roses on your grave
Well when you're sitting back in your rose pink Cadillac
Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day
Ah, I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon
And another girl to take my pain away
Take me down little Susie, take me down
I know you think you're the queen of the underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flowers by the mail
Send me dead flowers to my wedding
And I won't forget to put roses on your grave
Take me down little Susie, take me down
I know you think you're the queen of the underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flowers by the U.S. Mail
Say it with dead flowers in my wedding
And I won't forget to put roses on your grave
No, I won't forget to put roses on your grave

*********





No comments:

Post a Comment