Friday 10 October 2014

Study Task One - OUGD403

Week 1 of Project
Word:

Concise

-Adjective:
Giving a lot of information clear and in a few words; brief but comprehensive: - a concise account of the country's history.

Derivates:
- Concisely - Adverb
- Conciseness - Noun
- Concision - Noun

Origin- Late 16th century: from french or Latin concuss, past participle of concidere 'cut up, cut down', from con-'completely' + caedere 'to cut'.

Synonyms:
1. Short to the point
2. Abridged
3. Boiled down
4. Breviloquent
5. Brief
6. Compact
7. Compendiary 
8. Compendious
9. Compressed
10. Condensed
11. Curt
12. Epigrammatic
13. in a nutshell
14. Iaconic
15. Lean
16. Marrowy
17. Meaty
18. Pithy
19. Short and sweet
20. Succinct
21. Summary
22. Synoptic
23. Terse

Antonyms:
1. Expansive
2. Lengthy
3. Long
4. Long-winded
5. Redundant
6. Repetitive
7. Wordy

First Planning: 
Basing the first stage of my work, I tried using the synonyms that i gathered to describe my word to represent my typeface. 
At First I searched a few random examples that were simple and short to the point.
My first idea was to have my word 'concise' decreasing within size to a specific point (in this case at the end of the word).

When having to show this at class i got told i had done the wrong thing, I had to base my typeface in this case, Helvetica, within an Alphabet that would follow a specific patten created by us.

Here are the work pages i showed at todays lesson.



These are some of the examples my classmates gave me to guide me with this task.

RYA --> word : Fragile Image 1  2 and 3



VEDIKA --> word: Broad Image 4  5 and 6






Following my classmates comments (which were really useful given that i have never worked with typography before and having their work as an example) i managed to produce a certain range of designs.

I used the lower case letters S-E-C-A
************************************************************************
Anatomy of Type
























































*****************************************************



I produced 16 different designs within the Helvetica typeface and the lower case letters s-e-c-a.

Now that i have done the right thing and Im ready to show and gain feedback, I will be able to chose 2 or 3 final letter forms to work on and manipulate on the computer and see the process of printing.
1. Is the lower case Helvetica typeface.
2. Is similar to number one, but I've decided to remove the inside of the letters and keep it as thick lines to represent how my type face is concise – Straight forward and simple.
3. Is different to the first two due to the change of filling, from a simple font or an empty inside but thick lines to a type face that can only be recognized due to a group of dots creating the shapes for the letters.
4. Maintaining the idea of filling, I decided to leave some black spaces between to represent the shortness of the message, referring back to my word ‘concise’.
5. I’ve now decided to experiment with lines, keeping it simple but focusing my message in a different way.
6. Following the idea of number 5, I decided to make it more complex by adding horizontal lines to the typeface.
7. Following the past ideas of having lines (5 and 6) I’ve now added vertical lines. + Going back to the definition ‘straight to the point’ I believed I could try focusing this idea by making a range of lines meeting at a central point for each letter.
8. I consider myself someone how likes experimenting and adding really small and complex patterns to my work. The word concise dose not defines me as an artist, given that I do not enjoy making my work simple and plain. Given this reason, I thought about producing a pattern that could maybe make my work stand out a little more (in this case using triangles).
9. For this design I decided to look back at my work and develop number 3 by leaving a bigger gap between each point/dot and actually defining the outside line of the letter.
10. Is a further development of number 4, but having diagonal spaces and having symmetrical blocks.
11. Is another variation of dots, in this case there’s a circle within another to show/represent the hidden message ‘straight to the point’.
12. Following the definition I’ve been trying to show with my other designs, I decided to make spirals that reach a central point for each letter.
13. Is a combination between 4 and 10, but having shaped that develop from a central point/blob/circle. The only problem I see within this idea is that it wouldn’t work with all the letters of the alphabet.
14.Semi circles have been cut out of the letter.
15. Another idea of ‘straight to the point’ using circles.
16. A more precise design of a past idea (number 4).






After todays lesson, the feedback that I was given was that I had a big variety within my designs, which was good to have a bigger range of different opinions.

People thought that my designs had the right meaning behind it and that I should maybe stick to the designs with dots/circles.

Designs 3+9+11 and chose one of them to work with.




No comments:

Post a Comment